Friday, January 14, 2011

RLB Season 2: Episode One


Dear Russell Petersen,

Thank you for registering for Team In Training's South Maui Triathlon  event on Jun 12, 2011.

 Welp.

Think of the lack of a post-race update as a cliffhanger in to season two. Long story short: I finished.  I had blisters on the bottom of my feet that turned in to calluses I still haven't completely lost. The bottoms of my feet hurt to walk on the rest of the day. My knee burned like nobody's business for hours, and ached for a week. My brain shut down, and I couldn't think about anything but finishing for the last few miles. A lot of the bands had packed up by the time I passed where they were playing (p.s. you guys suck). It took almost four hours and we walked almost the entire way trying to baby my knee, but we did it. I've got the big-ass heavy medal to prove it. It's the happy ending, albeit not as amazing as I would have liked due to the degeneration in training over the last month. End of season one, credits roll, fade to black.

So here we are at the start of season two. A few minutes ago, I received my registration to Team in Training for the South Maui triathlon on June 12 of this year. Unfortunately, I went way off the rails for the holidays and I've lost everything I built up for stamina (and un-lost some weight thanks to Christmas cookies). My knee isn't back to where it was before the marathon training, and the orthopedic doctor has told me it never will be. We're more or less starting over again, but I know more about what I'm capable of when I started training last summer. I'm not afraid of being unable to finish for any reason other than my knee, and I'm confident that with enough care that it won't hold me back.

As the TNT season moves along I'll be posting about how my training is going and the experiences that are pushing me to crossing the finish line with a huge smile on my face. I expect the journey to be life-changing.

148 days to go. Training starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment